Friday, August 7, 2015

Ben & Jerry's - Vanilla Toffee Bar Crunch

Vanilla Toffee Bar Crunch - Vanilla Ice Cream with Fudge-Covered Toffee Pieces

The latest flavor is "Vanilla Toffee Bar Crunch".   The "toffee bar" here was originally a 'Heath Bar", but last year, Ben & Jerry's discontinued its relationship with Heath Bar's manufacturer Hershey because they use genetically-modified organisms (GMO's).  The original flavor was "Coffee Heath Bar Crunch" which was introduced way back in 1986.  This is the vanilla version of that flavor which was introduced in 2012.   The switch to generic toffee bars was done in 2014.


It looks like the first attempt at mimicking the Heath bar flavor was not a complete success but they have since refined the flavor:


Opening the pint, you see mostly vanilla but with quite a few of the toffee pieces visible on the very top.  Eating into the pint, the toffee pieces were decently sized.  They were hard enough to be crunchy but brittle enough not to be jawbreaking.  I am not a Heath Bar aficionado so I'm not sure how well the non-GMO toffee compares to the original but I thought they were tasty.  I noticed that in addition to the larger toffee pieces, there were also little bits of fudge dispersed throughout the vanilla base.  I'm not sure if this is intentional or just a side effect of the mixing process but I liked it.

A simple flavor, yet fairly successful.  If you like Heath-like toffee bars in your ice cream try this or the Coffee Toffee Bar Crunch.





5 comments:

  1. WOW this has inspired me to become a professional ice cream taster. Thank you very much David. My life is finally complete after reading this. I cannot wait to try this flavour!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my favorite flavor is 'Vanilla Toffee Bar Crunch' but unfortunately I M not getting enough of it at my grocery store Stop & Shop in Harwich MA. Can you help!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't specifically help. I checked and it is still in the rotation (it has not been retired):

      https://www.benjerry.com/flavors/vanilla-toffee-bar-crunch-ice-cream

      ... but it is not one of the more popular or famous flavors so it might be hard to find unless the grocery stores stocks every flavor. You could try a scoop shop. Sorry!

      Delete
  3. I was a big vanilla heath fan too and thought they discontinued. Like before mentioned I haven't seen it on a shelf in almost a decade!!! It's almost a good thing since I need to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked above in 2018 and it was still on their website, but I just checked again in 2021 and now it is gone. So, it looks like it has been discontinued.

      The closest flavor is Coffee Toffee Bar Crunch.

      Delete