Friday, January 29, 2016

Ben & Jerry's - Cake My Day

Cake My Day - Vanilla Cake Batter Ice Cream with Vanilla Cake Pieces, Buttercream Frosting & Raspberry Swirls

A new Ben & Jerry's flavor!  Well, they've cycled their "limited batch" slot.  The Save Our Swirled flavor has been retired and is replaced with Cake My Day.  From the description, it looks like they've made based a pint of ice cream on a piece of cake:  cake batter, cake pieces, frosting.  Interestingly, it has also has a raspberry swirl.  The Save Our Swirled flavor also contained raspberry so maybe they had some leftover ingredients in the factory.  We'll see how that plays out.

The top of the pint right after removing the lid is primarily white from the vanilla cake batter base with a few pink splotches visible from the raspberry swirl.  Digging my spoon in uncovers the cake pieces.  They are yellow in color but they tasted like vanilla.  I guess I expected white cake, but its just full eggs versus egg whites which make the difference between yellow and white cake so it tasted like white cake.  The frosting swirls were interesting.  I don't know if you can tell from the pictures because the frosting is the same color as the base but probably about five percent of the pint is frosting instead of ice cream.  It was good.  Somehow it wasn't too sweet.   Then there was the raspberry swirls.  Raspberry can be a strong flavor but I think this was just the right amount of raspberry.  The dominant flavor in the top half of the pint was the cake and the frosting with raspberry being an accent.  The strength of the raspberry did build as I got to the bottom of the pint, though.  By the end, it was a significant amount of raspberry.

I enjoyed this pint.  I've been craving for new Ben & Jerry's releases since I finished the last of their regular flavors last October and this did not disappoint.  Judging from feedback from previous reviews, raspberry might not be for everyone though.  Of all the fruit syrup swirls they could have picked, I probably would have picked lemon or strawberry but this was still quite tasty.  It tasted like a good piece of wedding cake in ice cream format.  So, if you like a good piece of wedding cake and you don't mind raspberry, then go ahead....  cake your day.




No comments:

Post a Comment