Saturday, September 24, 2016

Izzy's - Midnight Snack

Midnight Snack - Graham Cracker Ice Cream infused with Nutty Peanut Butter and Sweet Chocolate Chunks

Editors note: this flavor has been renamed to Midnight Graham Crunch

I felt like I had to return to the Izzy's brand while I was on my Minnesota trip because I was a bit adventuresome with the choice for my first review.  It was a well-implemented pint using a local stout beer, but it turns out that I'm not really a stout beer guy.  For my second Izzy's review, I was looking for something with more traditional flavors and found a pint of a flavor called Midnight Snack.  This flavor was the 2009 winner of Izzy's annual People's Flavor Awards where customers submit their own ideas for ice cream flavors, Izzy's selects the top two dozen ideas and implements them and then they have a taste-testing party where customers vote on their favorites.  A video report of the contest from the year which Midnight Snack won is available here.  Midnight Snack features the classic chocolate and peanut butter combination and I was looking forward to giving it a try.

Opening the pint reveals the beige color of the graham cracker base with plenty of peanut butter and chocolate pieces visible right away on the very top.  In the first spoonful, I noticed a lot of peanut butter flavor.  There are a lot of crunchy peanut butter pieces.  The chocolate chunk pieces are not as numerous but they provide quite a bit of chocolate flavor when you bit into them.  The mix-ins are so plentiful that I had a hard time noticing the graham cracker flavoring in the base but that is not a big deal because the chocolate and especially the peanut butter are the stars of this pint.

I really enjoyed this pint.  For those who like their chocolate and peanut butter combinations on the crunchy side this flavor ranks right up there with McConnell's Double Peanut Butter Chip flavor.  I think this Izzy's flavor is probably a little better, but its close.






No comments:

Post a Comment