Sunday, November 27, 2016

Ample Hills - Autumn in New York



Autumn in New York - Apple cider sorbet made with cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and amaretto liqueur

It is autumn and I am in New York, so when I saw that Ample Hills had a seasonal flavor called "Autumn in New York", I figured I had to try it while I was here.  The flavor is based on a spiked and spiced apple cider.  It is a sorbet an not an ice cream, which means there are no dairy products in the mix.  This is a different flavor mix for me, so I am curious to try it out.  The pint I got was missing the flavor sticker on the front, so I included an extra photo of the lid below.

Removing that lid shows a solid beige color of the apple cider sorbet.  As I scoop into it, it is a bit icy like a sorbet but there is a thickness to it which reminded me of what frozen applesauce might be like.  The first thing that hits you is the amaretto liqueur.  It provides quite a noticeable kick.  Once your mouth gets used to that there is plenty of apple flavor.  The spices are relatively mild, noticeable but no kick like what was provided to by the liqueur.  It was tasty.  Tasted like a good glass of apple cider.  It was very thick and the flavor was fairly concentrated, so it was a lot to eat the entire pint in one sitting.  This is not a knock on the quality of the pint, it's just one of those flavors that is best eaten in one or two scoop serving sizes.

So, an interesting seasonal flavor from Ample Hills.  If you are a fan of apple cider, I'd still recommend you get this despite my note about about serving sizes above.  Apple cider is best enjoyed with friends anyways.







1 comment:

  1. I agree with the assessment that it would be best in small quantities. I'm imagining a scoop in a martini glass with a drizzle of liqueur on top.

    ReplyDelete