Thursday, February 16, 2017

Häagen-Dazs - TRIO: Salted Caramel Chocolate


TRIO: Salted Caramel Chocolate - Layers of Crispy Belgium Chocolate with Salted Caramel & Chocolate Ice Creams
Häagen-Dazs has a new line of flavors for 2017!  These new flavors are layered flavors where the pint consists of different individual flavors stacked on top of each other.  Each of the new pints has three layers, so they've named the new line TRIO.  In each of the new pints, one of the three layers is crispy Belgian chocolate while the other two layers are different flavors of ice cream.  It sounds pretty interesting!  I found my first pint at the grocery store last week.  This is the Salted Caramel Chocolate flavor where salted caramel and chocolate ice creams are layered in with the Belgian chocolate.  There is a video of the flavors showing the layering here.  Chocolate and caramel is always a winning combination, so I am looking forward to trying this out.

Removing the lid shows some of the chocolate brown and swirls of beige for the caramel.  With the spoonful, the salted caramel is delivered in ice cream format, it has a fairly mild flavor but when you isolate only caramel and no chocolate it tastes similar to a Sugar Daddy or Slo Poke caramel candy.  The chocolate base is
Häagen-Dazs' standard chocolate ice cream.  It is one of the best chocolate ice creams around.  They do simple chocolate very well.  As I dug further down, I started to encounter the layers of Belgian chocolate.  These were solid layers of chocolate (not ice cream).  They were quite thin, but they were hard and traversed the entire pint.  I had to 'break' this layer with my spoon in order to scoop through it.  It was crunchy and chocolatey.  As I continued to eat down, the crunchy layers were relatively frequent.  That is, the layers themselves were thin enough that almost every spoonful contained all three.  I didn't get a good photo of the layering.  I'll try for the next TRIO flavor.  The net effect of the mixture pretty chocolatey.  The caramel was not as noticeable as the other two flavors.  Perhaps it kept the pint from getting too chocolatey.  I'm not sure.

This is a fun new line from Häagen-Dazs.  It definitely was a unique experience cutting through crunchy chocolate with my spoon.  For this flavor, I might have preferred it if it was gooey caramel instead of caramel ice cream but that is a minor quibble.  I'm looking forward to trying out the other TRIO flavor combinations.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment