Monday, November 13, 2017

Sweet Science - Oatmeal Cookie

Oatmeal Cookie - Vanilla Cinnamon Ice Cream with Oatmeal Streusel

The Saint Paul-based Sweet Science brand had another tasting event and I ended up buying a few more pints.  That left me in a bit of a predicament because I still have three pints of my recent Ample Hills shipment.  This is a nice problem to have, though.  I have decided to alternate the brands, so today I'll be having the Oatmeal Cookie flavor from Sweet Science.  Oatmeal is a popular ice cream mix-in.  Scanning my archives, I am surprised to see that the oatmeal has the complete focus of the pint -- other flavors I have had mix it with a fruit mix-in (where the oatmeal plays the role of a pie-crust) or a bit of chocolate.  Here, it is just oatmeal mix-ins in a vanilla base and what the side of the pint says is "just a hint of cinnamon".  I am looking forward to this.

Opening the pint, the base vanilla ice cream is noticeably beige in color.  Could it be the cinnamon?  I checked the ingredient list and they use brown sugar instead of regular sugar, too.   In my first spoonful, I could taste the vanilla of course.  The cinnamon was also quite noticeable as well.  It was not "spicy" or anything, but it was more than just a hint.  I approve.  It tasted good.  The oatmeal streusel/cookie pieces were distributed throughout the pint.  They were crumbly and not crunchy and tasted quite good.

This was a very good pint of ice cream.  A very simple flavor combination but one that works very well.  I enjoyed every spoonful, ate the entire pint in short order and wanted more when I was done.  Oatmeal lovers should try this.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment