Monday, October 31, 2016

Honeymoon - Brown Butter Plum

Brown Butter Plum - Sweet Cream with a Plum Jam Swirl and a Brown Butter-Roasted Oat Crumble


Scanning freezer cases across southern California, I occasionally come across the Honeymoon brand of premium ice cream where the pints come in these glass jars.  I decided to finally give it a try and picked up a pint.  This brand seems to have some interesting flavor combinations.  For my first pint, I went with the Brown Butter Plum flavor.

Honeymoon Ice Cream was founded in 2013 in the San Rafael, California by David Young.  A typical premium brand with locally-sourced ingredients and interesting flavor combinations, Honeymoon does a few things differently than others.  First, it gets its dairy products from Jersey cows in nearby Sonoma County.  I guess most dairy products come from Holstein cows, second of course are these glass jars with the metal screw-top lid.  This does give you a peek inside before you dive in.

Unscrewing the lid shows that the pint shows a gob of plum jam visible on the very top with little specks of what is probably the oat crumble.  Eating my way into the pint, the oat crumble is quite tasty.  There are whole bits of toasted oatmeal flakes within the crumble which are crunchy and a bit sweet at the same time.  The plum jam is not always visible but it is always noticeable.  As noted in the past, a little bit of jam can go a long way and this pint is no exception.  

This was a very interesting pint.  I've never had plum in an ice cream before and the crumble simulated the effect of eating plum pie with ice cream.  Of course, if you like plum, you should check this out. 



 



2 comments:

  1. I actually tried this exacty flavor on a whim when I was in San Diego last month. It looks like I got robbed in regards to the oat crumbles and jam. I had very little oats and the only jam was on the bottom and one side of the jar (it looked LOADED from the outside). I did enjoy the jam I got but was really disappointed in the mix-in density for the high price point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw this in another honeymoon flavor!

      http://davidsicecreamreviews.blogspot.com/2016/11/honeymoon-strawberry-tarragon.html

      It worked out here, because the sweet cream was soft, the jar is narrow and the flavor was potent. But I realize it will be a problem with other mixes... and since its an expensive pint you'd hope they'd do a better job mixing.

      Delete