Friday, June 1, 2018

Graeter's - Salted Caramel

Salted Caramel - Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Following the previous Salted Caramel review, I thought maybe I should try a few other implementations of the same flavor in succession.  That way I can compare and contrast them while they are still fresh in my mind.  So, today I am going to the Graeter's implementation of Salted Caramel.  Graeter's has been around for more than a century, they use the old "French pot" process, and this is one of their original flavors.  This should be interesting.

Removing the lid, the ice cream is a much lighter caramel color.  It is almost off-white.  As I dig in, it is a lighter caramel flavor than I was expecting.  It's quite good, but it is a subtler caramel flavor than what many of the newer brands are doing.  I checked the carton and it is the original recipe from a hundred years ago which involves cooking brown sugar and cream with just a pinch of salt.  It is quite thick and creamy -- almost milky -- and very delicious.

I liked this caramel flavor.  It is an old-school implementation of a caramel-flavored ice cream, so don't expect the extra saltiness which is trendy these days.  But as popular as some of the extra-salty caramels are these days, sometimes you might be in a mood for caramel-flavored ice cream without the salt.  If that's the case, you can't go wrong with Graeter's.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment