Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Sweet Science - Salted Caramel

Salted Caramel - Salted Caramel Ice Cream


Today we return to the Saint-Paul based for one of their standard flavors -- Salted Caramel.  I have not done too many reviews of straight homogeneous flavors.  Checking my archives, I've done a Coolhaus caramel review as well has a few other caramel flavors which also featured mix-ins.  I will consider doing more.

Removing the lid, the caramel has the expected orange (caramel) color.  The ice cream is quite soft!  It is not at all melted, but I'm thinking I should eat it quickly because it appears close to doing so.  I know salt melts ice on roads, so maybe I should keep the freezer at a colder temperature when I am filling it with salted caramel?  The ice cream still has a good creamy consistency, I think I just need to eat it quickly.  That is usually not a problem.  Digging in, there is a strong caramel flavor with quite a noticeable kick of salt in the mix as well.  The appeal of salted caramel has been explained by the fact that it contains three things that humans crave:  sugar, fat, and salt.  This implementation is definitely trying to put salt on an equal level of the other two.  It is quite delicious.  The article linked above describes an effect called 'hedonistic escalation' where tasting one of the three makes you crave the other two.  I did eat the pint rather quickly.

This is a very good implementation of salted caramel.  It is of the 'extra salty' variety.  So, stay hydrated and perhaps crank up the power on the freezer if you plan on storing it for a long time.  The taste is excellent, though.  Extra salty salted caramel lovers will love this.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment