Monday, May 28, 2018

Izzy's - Snap Crackle Chocolate

Snap Crackle Chocolate - Chocolate Ice Cream with a Caramel Swirl and Chocolate-Coated Krispies
Editors note:  this flavor has been renamed to Chocolate Caramel Superstar

We return to the Saint Paul-based Izzy's brand today.  Izzy's has a lot of imaginative flavors in their scoop shops, but they don't always turn those into the pre-packaged pints which I like to review.  So, whenever I find an interesting pint in their scoop shop freezer case, I try to pick it up.  This flavor is called Snap Crackle Chocolate.   Chocolate, Caramel and Cocoa Krispies.

But before we proceed, this is a milestone review!  Pint number 300!  As with the previous century reviews here and here, I like to make a collage of the last 100 pints:

Pints 201-300
I never thought I'd write this many reviews.  I figured I would eventually run out of pints to try.  It turns out that the opposite is true.  There seems to be an almost endless amount of ice cream to eat and I can barely keep up.  With that in mind, I had better get going on my current review!

Removing the lid shows the full brown color of the chocolate base which a few brown specks of the cocoa krispies visible.  As I dig in, the chocolate base is amazing.  It is thick, creamy and very chocolatey.  I have had a lot of different chocolate bases.  I don't know if it is the absolute best one, but for some reason it really hit the spot this time.  I haven't tried Izzy's just plain 'chocolate'.  Perhaps I will now.  As I eat my way down, I start encountering the cocoa krispies.  They are a little bit larger and more globular than standard rice krispies, but they taste pretty good.  They are not as crispy as I would have liked.  I have seen that happen with other cereal flavors.  I think that might be how it often works out because of the mixing of the cereal into milk and cream before churning.  It still tastes pretty good though.  The krispies provide some textural variety and go well with the chocolate base.  One thing I did not find was a caramel swirl.  The list of ingredients on the container as well as the website said that there was one, but I don't see it.  Is it a mistake batch?  Did they change the recipe and not update the labels?  Is there a thin layer of caramel on the krispies that I didn't notice?  Did it get blended into the chocolate base and that's part of the reason why it tastes so good?  Maybe I'll try another same the next time I see the flavor at Izzy's.  Very curious.

I did like this pint.  Excellent chocolate and the cereal makes it more interesting than just plain chocolate.  I was a bit confused by the missing caramel swirl, but that's only because they told me one was there.  Try it for the remarkably excellent chocolate.






 

1 comment:

  1. I just had a pint of this from Luce and also didn't get any caramel. I was really looking forward to it, since I originally wanted salted caramel but this caught my eye, so I'm pretty disappointed that it's missing.

    ReplyDelete