Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Häagen-Dazs - TRIO - Coconut Caramel Chocolate

Coconut Caramel Chocolate - Coconut and Chocolate Ice Creams layered with Crispy Belgian Chocolate and Caramel Sauce

Häagen-Dazs has new flavors for 2018!  Due to availability and the timing of sales, I haven't gotten around to trying these as soon as I would have liked.  It is time to play catch-up.  There are three new flavors in their standard line in what they are calling the Decadent Collection plus three new TRIO flavors.  Today, we look at one of the new TRIO flavors:  Coconut Caramel Chocolate.  The TRIO flavors were first introduced last year and are a cool new way to deliver ice cream.  Two ice cream bases are layered with a crunchy Belgian chocolate layer.  I am not exactly sure how they do it, but it's pretty cool.  Today, the two bases are coconut and chocolate and in addition to the crispy Belgian chocolate layer, there are also layers of caramel.  I guess that makes this pint more of a QUARTET than a TRIO, but for the sake of this review, we'll overlook that.

Opening the pint, the two bases are actually swirled a bit on the very top.  Digging in, I taste the chocolate right away.  The coconut flavor was not entirely obvious at first, but after a couple of spoonfuls, I started to taste it.  The layers in a TRIO pint are relatively thin so it was not long before my spoon was cutting through layers of Belgian chocolate and finding caramel as well.  The layering was not as orderly as it has been in other TRIO pints that I've had, but it still delivers the ice cream in a way that all of the elements are found in almost all of the spoonfuls.

I must admit that I was a little bit disappointed with this pint.  Mainly because there was not as much coconut flavor as I was expecting.  It certainly is not a bad pint.  Lovers of other TRIO flavors will enjoy cutting their spoon through crunchy Belgian chocolate and Häagen-Dazs' chocolate base is excellent as usual, but without a strong coconut flavor, there is little that distinguishes it from several of the other TRIO flavors.  Seems like an easy fix to a promising flavor, though, and you never know if I just got a pint from a weak batch.  I'm looking forward to trying more of the new
Häagen-Dazs flavors in the next few weeks.

  



No comments:

Post a Comment