Thursday, May 3, 2018

Talenti - Almond Butter & Honey

Almond Butter & Honey - Almond Butter Gelato with a Wildflower Honey Swirl

We return to the Talenti gelato brand for a new flavor for 2018: Almond Butter & Honey.  It was listed as a special batch flavor, so I figured I had better get it before it goes away.  Plus, I like honey in ice cream and the almond butter intrigues me.  Looking at the ingredients, it looks like almond butter is just the almond version of peanut butter -- it is basically almonds ground up until they are spreadable.  And the honey means that it contains many of the same ingredients as marzipan.  That sounds interesting.  Let's dig in!


Unscrewing the lid, the almond butter base is a beige-tinged off-white and there is a vein of honey visible along the top.  In the first spoonful, the base has a light gelato texture.  It is a bit sweet.  You can taste the almonds but it is not super strong like you sometimes see in marzipan and other almond-based things.  You can tell that the flavoring comes just from ground almonds.  That said, I feel like I should clarify that there are no almond pieces in this pint -- the texture is very smooth. The honey swirl was flavorful, but not too sticky or too sweet.  The consistency almost reminded me of a caramel swirl, except you could tell that it was honey-flavored and not caramel-flavored.

This is an interesting an unique pint from Talenti.  The flavoring is a bit subtle and understated which surprised me a bit, but it was still pretty good and the flavors were blended well.  If you like almond butter and honey, you'll want to check it out of course.




1 comment:

  1. I think this is the best flavor Talenti has created in a long time - I just wish there was more honey swirl.

    ReplyDelete