Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Sweet Science - Lime Curd with White Chocolate

Lime Curd with White Chocolate - Lime Curd Ice Cream with White Chocolate Freckles


We return to the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science brand for another seasonal flavor: Lime Curd White Chocolate.  This is the first primarily lime flavors, I have had in quite a long time.  There have been a couple of berry-limes, but there the berry is usually the primary flavor.  I think you have to go back to a Key Lime Pie pint which I had two years ago to find a mainly-lime pint.  If you are not familiar with 'lime curd' it is nothing to be afraid of.  Yes, it does get its name because when lemon or lime juice is added to dairy products, the acidity causes the milk to curdle, but most recipes for lime curd (or lemon curd) involve mixing in enough butter, eggs and sugar that you are effectively making a sweet custard out of the lime juice.  This "lime curd" is then a much more malleable ingredient for use in more complex dessert recipes.  The mix-ins here are tiny white chocolate 'freckles'.  I had never thought to mix lime with white chocolate before.  It should be fun to see how this works out.

Removing the lid, the lime curd base is a bright yellow.  There appears to be some swirls of lime curd itself in the mix, too.  Digging in, the base ice cream is very flavorful.  Lots of bright citrus flavor.  Sweet enough to mask the sourness of the lime, but not overly so.  It is quite delicious.  The lime curd swirl was an unexpected bonus as well.  Yum.  Then I was looking for the white chocolate mix-ins.  It took me a while to find them, but they were actually everywhere.  Basically, they were small 'freckles' not much larger than grains of sand.  I could feel them with my tongue inside each spoonful but when I tried to isolate them from the rest of the ice cream, they melted away.  Neat!  As I've mentioned in previous reviews, white chocolate is a fairly inert flavor on my palate, anyways.  I am curious to know what people who really love the flavor of white chocolate think of this flavor combination, but otherwise I'll just accept its fleeting texture and enjoy this amazing lime base.

I really liked this pint!  I am always looking for good citrus-based flavors and this one hits the jackpot.  One of my favorite lemon or lime flavors so far and one of my favorite Sweet Science pints as well.  If you like lime flavor and can find this pint, check it out.





3 comments:

  1. I love lemon and lime curd, and both are lovely in ice cream.

    Salt and straw had a flavor called lemon lime slime in their student inventor series. It was fabulous.

    Did you hear that Ample Hills is opening a scoop shop in LA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear that. Maybe the scale-up will ease their shipping costs? I have a sister who lives in NYC, so I can still check them out at their home base when I visit.

      Delete
  2. I heard they are working on lowering shipping costs this summer. I hope that’s true. I find ordering from Jenis or McConnells more tempting than others just because of the flat rate shipping.

    ReplyDelete