Thursday, March 10, 2016

Talenti - Key Lime Pie

Key Lime Pie - Key Lime Gelato with Graham Cracker Swirls and Pieces

As I scan the large Talenti section in my local grocery store to see what to review next, I generally look for something unique and different, something that the other brands don't carry.  This time I zeroed in on Key Lime Pie.  I am a big fan of citrus flavors so grabbed this pint.  It turns out that this is a new Talenti flavor for 2016, so its not just new for me, it's new for everyone.

Unscrewing the lid off the jar, you see a pale yellow color with specks of brown visible.  This was actually difficult to photograph.  My camera has autofocus the top appeared 'blurry' and it kept focusing on the wrong thing.  The pale yellow color is actually correct for key lime pie.  The fruit and juice of a key lime (named for its association with the Florida Keys) is more yellow than its more common and greener cousin, the Persian lime.  Plus, added egg yolks, make a key lime pie even yellower.  With Mediterranean Mint, Talenti went with an artificial green color but here they stuck with the natural look.    The base was quite delicious.  It had a bit of a creamy custardy texture but definite lime overtones to it.  It was not as strong as some lime-flavored candies, but I think it was a good amount of lime for eating a whole pint.  The brown flecks turned out to be the graham cracker swirl.  In small doses, these flecks added some texture, but additionally to the swirl were larger pieces.  These provided good contrast to the lime-flavored base and also created the sensation that you were eating a piece of pie with the crust.

I really enjoyed this pint.  It was both a different flavor than usual and also very tasty at the same time.  The flavor was very cool and soothing and I can see why this is a popular flavor for a dessert in hot and muggy south Florida.




No comments:

Post a Comment