Sunday, March 27, 2016

Gelato Fiasco - Maine Wild Blueberry Crisp


Maine Wild Blueberry Crisp - Vanilla Gelato with Blueberries and a Crunchy Oat Streusel

As mentioned in the previous review,  I revisited a grocery store in old neighborhood last week and discovered some new brands which I had not encountered in my usual shops.  That review was for the Coolhaus brand, and here I try out a brand called Gelato Fiasco and their implementation of a Maine Wild Blueberry Crisp.  I chose a blueberry as it is a flavor which I had not encountered yet in the other brands.

Gelato Fiasco was founded in 2007 in Brunswick, Maine by Joshua Davis and Bruno Tropeano who saw an opening in the artisanal frozen dessert market in the small college towns of Maine.  Also, they claim to be inspired by the ancient Red Spoon Society which has "woven clues to their treasure of gelato secrets into some of history’s most valuable works of art, commerce, and culture".  Thankfullu, Josh and Bruno have a crack team of anthropologists and art historians available to help them decipher these coded messages and bring a better gelato their customer.  Or at the very least, if provides a fun theme for the artwork on the walls of their scoop shops.

On to the pint!  The gelato comes in a screw-top jar like Talenti does, but it does not look as reusable as the lid is the thin metal type and the label is paper and stick-on and would not survive the dishwasher.   I don't think anyone actually reuses these jars, but I'm just noting the difference.  Unscrewing the lid, I see some frost on top.  I guess that is one of the dangers of leaving some air on top between the top of the gelato and the lid.  The blueberries were swirled a bit and I see small brown spots which look like they were from the oatmeal crisp.  Eating into the pint, the frost on top was not ideal -- the first scoops were indeed icy -- but the frost was very thin and did not affect the flavor of what was below.  The vanilla gelato base was thick and creamy and the blueberries were fairly numerous and flavorful.  It  felt like I was eating a hybrid between a gelato and blueberry muffin batter.  The oatmeal crisp was not as 'crunchy' as the label made it sound like it would be, but it was still noticeable and provided the same purpose as the graham cracker swirl does in a lot of the pie-themed flavors.

An interesting new flavor from a fun new brand.  Checking out their website, they have over 1300 flavors listed!  Sounds like they are having a lot of fun and are quite adventurous with their flavor combinations.  Only a few of those make into pints that get shipped to the opposite corner of the country, so if I ever find myself on the coast of Maine, I'll check out one of their scoop shops.





No comments:

Post a Comment