Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Sweet Science - Pear Riesling

Pear Riesling - Pear Riesling Sorbet


I am still working my way through my stockpile of Sweet Science pints.  Today, I decided to try a sorbet: Pear Riesling.  I have never had a pint which included pear before!  Come to think of it, I have never had riesling before, either.   The pear is a fruit of the rose and is fairly closely related to the apple.  It is an Old World fruit which has been known since antiquity.  Riesling is a white grape variety from the Rhine region of Germany.  It is a popular flavor combination -- including a pint from Jeni's which is similar to this one.  I am quite curious to try this flavor.

Opening the pint, I can tell right away that is a fruit sorbet.  It has the look of a frozen applesauce.  I guess this is not surprising because apples and pears are related and have a similar texture.  Digging in, it has the texture of a churned sorbet (it scoops, but remains a bit slushy).  The pear flavor is there.  It is not just juice and ice either, some pulp is in there too.  It's how I imagine a pear version of applesauce would taste like (pear sauce?).  I am not entirely familiar with the taste of riesling, but there is a subtly sweet aftertaste which is not inconsistent with a white whine being in the mix.

This was certainly an interesting pint -- it is not often when all of the flavor labels that I tag a review with are being used for the first time.  I don't know if a pear sorbet is my thing, though.  I wanted to have only a single scoop instead of a full pint.  I had a similar reaction to an apple sorbet that I tried a while back so perhaps I am not the target audience for this.  I do not want to discourage you if you love pears and fruity sorbets, though.  If that's your thing, go ahead and track this down (or the Jeni's pint if you are not in the Twin Cities).




 

No comments:

Post a Comment