Sunday, May 6, 2018

Pumphouse Creamery - Buttermilk with Lemon Bars

Buttermilk with Lemon Bars - Buttermilk Ice Cream with Sweet Tart Lemon Bar Pieces
Today we return to the Pumphouse Creamery of South Minneapolis.  This is my second pint from them -- the first pint was last fall.  I returned because they added a lemon flavor:  Buttermilk with Lemon Bars.  I am kind of a sucker for lemon flavors, but they are hard to get right due to lemon's acidity.  They bill this as one of their most popular and signature flavors which sounds quite promising.  I can't wait to try it.


Opening the pint, the buttermilk base is very white.  This always surprises me.  I guess buttermilk doesn't really have butter -- it's just cultured -- so it should just as white as plain yogurt.  Digging in, the buttermilk base is fairly tangy.  You can taste the buttermilk.  I could make out some lemon flavoring in the base as well.  The real lemon flavor came from the lemon bar mix-ins, though.  Every once in a while, I'd bite into a small, chewy lemon bar piece which would deliver lemon flavor along with some crust and powdered sugar.  Yum.  The density of the mix-ins was not incredibly high, but that worked well here because a little lemon bar goes a long way.  Lemon bars are usually cut into very small pieces after all.  As I continued eating down to the bottom of the pint, I always had plenty of lemon flavor in my mouth and the tangy base did a pretty good job of balancing the flavor.


This is an excellent pint of ice cream.  One of the best lemon-themed pints I've had.  Scanning my archives, I see that Jeni's has a similar flavor, but I liked this one better due to the mix-ins.  If you are in South Minneapolis and need an ice cream break, then check out this flavor from Pumphouse.







  

No comments:

Post a Comment