Sunday, April 29, 2018

Jeni's - Supermoon

Supermoon - Blue Violet and Vanilla Marshmallow Ice Creams Swirled Together
I was at Whole Foods the other day checking out the freezer case and I saw that they cycled a new flavor from Jeni's into their rotation.   The flavor is called Supermoon.  Jeni's initially released it in Spring 2017.  I am glad that my local Whole Food started stocking it.  Otherwise, I would have to wait until my next online purchase from Jeni's.

A supermoon is a full moon that coincides with the closest point (perigee) in the moon's orbit.  So, a supermoon appears to be about 14% than its normal size.  Not a huge deal, but it is enough to be noticeable and fun.  The moon normally looks a little bigger when it is closer to the horizon, so if it is closer to the horizon and a supermoon then it will look even bigger.  The last supermoon was in January of 2018 and the next supermoon is January of 2019.  I am not sure what a supermoon has to do with vanilla marshmallow and blue-violet, but it is a great and catchy name for an ice cream flavor all the same.

The supermoon pint carton design is quite nice.  I really like the new Jeni's pint designs.  They are much better than the old orange-marker on white designs.  The supermoon colors of baby blue and yellow were a bit hard to photograph, though.  It took me several tries and I still think the photo looks a bit washed out.  You'll have to trust me that the design looks much better in person.  Opening the pint, I see the yellow vanilla marshmallow set against a crescent moon of blue-violet.  Digging in, the vanilla marshmallow side is sweet and has lots of vanilla flavor.  There is also marshmallow flavor without the marshmallow texture.  The blue-violet side had a bit of a floral flavor to it, which is not unexpected because blue-violet is an edible flower.  The crescent of blue was only on the very top.  Eating my way down, it was pretty much a half-and-half split.  They did stay on their separate sides of the carton, though.  The link above compares this flavor to marshmallow cereal milk.  Like the leftover milk after eating a bowl of Lucky Charms.  I agree with that.  It is quite well done.

This is a very unique and interesting pint of ice cream.  It has a sweet floral marshmallowy flavor which is nothing like most flavors -- there's no chocolate, caramel, nut, or fruit flavors here.  It also has a very unique and beautiful color.  It's a good flavor to have in a scoop shop as an alternative flavor, and it's a good pint to try when you want something out of the ordinary as well.  Enjoy.






  

1 comment:

  1. I tried this recently, as well. I love floral flavors, so I enjoyed this. I actually wouldn’t mind a bolder violet taste ....

    I tried the salted honey pie yesterday ... it is worth ordering,

    ReplyDelete