Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Coolhaus - Street Cart Churro Dough

Street Cart Churro Dough - Brown Butter Ice Cream with Cinnamon Sugar Churro Dough and a Chocolate Chip Swirl
Today is another of the new Coolhaus flavors for 2018.  This one is called Street Cart Churro Dough.  As mentioned in previous reviews, churros are a fried-dough pastry common in Spain, Portugal and Latin America.  It makes for a good ice cream flavor because it has cinnamon and chewy mix-ins.  This pint looks a bit different though because it has a chocolate swirl.  We'll see.


  
When I took off the lid, I got a nice surprise:


 

Aww... just like the last Coolhaus pint, I got an uplifting mesage!   That's nice.  I just stared at it for a while, but then I figured I should peel off the foil and eat the ice cream.  The ice cream inside is quite interesting.  There is a lot of chocolate!  Digging in, the chocolate swirl dominates the pint, I almost can't taste the brown butter base at all.  There is just enough base to suspend the chocolate and make it cold and scoopable, but not much more.  Inside this suspension are the churro dough pieces which I encountered from time to time.  They are soft, and have a sweet cinnamon-and-sugar flavor.  I like it.

This is a unique, eclectic and successful pint from Coolhaus.  It almost defies comparison.  I was excited to compare it to the Jeni's and McConnell's pints in the links above but all the chocolate effectively make this a completely different flavor.  And I can't compare it to spiced Mexican Chocolate flavors (here and here) either, because this is a sweet cinnamon and not a hot cinnamon.  This flavor is it's own thing.  I liked it, though.  If churros and chocolate sounds yummy, give this one a shot.







1 comment:

  1. I didn’t love this, but I did like it a lot.

    Some of my family members loved it!

    ReplyDelete