Thursday, April 26, 2018

Sweet Science - Stout Chocolate with Toffee and Brownie

Stout Chocolate with Toffee and Brownie - Stout Chocolate Ice Cream with Brownie Chunks and Almond Toffee Pieces
The second seasonal flavor from the latest Sweet Science tasting is called Stout Chocolate with Toffee and Brownie.  This looks like a fancier version of the standard Chocolate Fudge Brownie flavor that many brands implement.  This one also includes stout and and almond toffee.  I have had a pint which included stout before.  Here, the stout is used not as the primary base, but as a modifier for the chocolate.  It should be interesting to check this out.

Removing the lid, the base ice cream is fairly light for a chocolate base.  I guess that is the effect of the stout.  Tasting the first spoonful, though, the flavor of the base is primarily chocolate.  The effect of the stout is relatively minor, it hits you only as a secondary flavor.  I like it.  The brownie pieces are distributed throughout the pint.  These are quite soft and delicious.  Occasionally, I ran into some of the almond toffee which is also delicious.  The toffee pieces were flavorful, sweet and a bit crunchy.  The toffee pieces were good enough that I actually wanted more of them to be in there, but I suppose you don't always want to be overloaded with mix-ins.  It was nice to have some spoonfuls with brownies in them and some spoonfuls with toffee pieces in them.

This is an excellent pint of ice cream.  A gourmet version of chocolate fudge brownie.  Don't be afraid of the stout if you are not a beer fan, it only adds a bit of interesting color to the chocolate flavor.  The mix-ins are both well-done and it will be fun to see if these ever get worked into future flavors.

  



6 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried Salt and Straw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to a scoop shop on a trip once. They have very bold monthly flavors. I was there near Halloween and they went a little over the top. (one had real bugs). Their standard line of flavors looks good, though.

      At the moment, their shipping prices are quite high, so if I do a west coast shipment, I might try Lapperts. Have you had Lapperts? Some flavors look Hawaiian themed and one of the Lappert's is hosting a new ice cream show on the Vice network.

      Delete
  2. I’ve ordered from them recently .... and am interested in their May floral line, but will be in San Diego for work later this month, so I’ll try them when I have access to a scoop Shop. I think I paid $30 for their shipping ... better than what I paid when I ordered from Ample Hills (but I am much closer to Oregon than New York).

    I haven’t tried Lapperts but some of their flavors look intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lapperts has a scoop Shop just outside San Diego, so I had the opportunity to try it. I sampled a few, and ended up with lychee. I really enjoyed it, and think it is worth ordering from them.

    The floral flavors at Salt and Straw are disappointing. I don’t find them as flavorful as other floral ice creams I have tried. I have decided that Salt and Straw is hit and miss. The flavors I have tried that have lemon curd in them are my favorite. Their regular flavors are good but not as good as I expected them to be. There is a scoop shop local to me called Rockwell Creamery. They have some of the best ice cream I have had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I might do that next. I have to catch up on the new Coolhaus flavors at some point as well.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for mentioning it. I wouldn’t have even know about it, otherwise.

    ReplyDelete