Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Sweet Science - Toasted Coconut Caramel Chip

Toasted Coconut Caramel Chip - Toasted Coconut Ice Cream with a Caramel Swirl and Dark Chocolate Shards


There was another tasting event for the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science brand last weekend, so I picked up a few new pints.  The flavor for today is a limited batch flavor called Toasted Coconut Caramel Chip.  They took their standard Toasted Coconut flavor and have added a caramel swirl and a chocolate mix-in.  Interestingly, in my review of the simple base flavor, I noted that that flavor was very good but that there no texture to the pint whatsoever (not even strands of coconut).  Here's they've added mix-ins, so I'm very much looking forward to this pint.

Opening the pint, I see right away that there are a lot of mix-ins!  Lots of 'shards' of chocolate and quite a bit of the caramel swirl is visible right away.  Interestingly, the coconut base much whiter than the simple base flavor was.  Digging in, I taste the chocolate and caramel right away and then the coconut comes in as a second wave of flavor inside my mouth.  The combination is excellent.  The shards of dark chocolate remind me of the outer-layer of a candy bar.  They are crunchy and crumbly at the same time.  Some of the shards are quite large, which might be an accident but is actually quite fun.  The caramel is not super thick, so it swirls very nicely.  The whole thing reminds me a bit of a coconut candy bar.  Like a Mounds bar with caramel -- a Milky Way bar with coconut instead of nougat.

This is an excellent pint. It is one of my most favorite Sweet Science flavors yet!  The simple base flavor is still quite good for scoop shop environment where you can add toppings or serve it with a scoop of something else, but as a standalone pint, I greatly prefer this flavor.  Coconut lovers will enjoy this.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment