Saturday, April 21, 2018

Ben & Jerry's - Glampfire Trail Mix

Glampfire Trail Mix - Chocolate Ice Cream with Crunchy Pretzel Swirls, Marshmallow Swirls & Fudge-Covered Almonds


Today is a new Target-exclusive flavor from Ben & Jerry's called Glampfire Trail Mix.   Ben & Jerry's usually has at least four exclusive flavors with Target at any given time.  I checked to see what the other flavors were to see if any had been cycled out.  I saw pints of Brewed to Matter and Keep Caramel and Carry On. Those are newer flavors, so they are likely staying.  That means that either Peanut Butter World or Blondie Ambition could be on the way out.  Both are still listed on the Ben & Jerry flavor page, so it is too soon to know.   I must admit that I did not know what glamping was before purchasing this pint.  Evidently, it is "glamorous camping".  When you are glamping, you are exploring the outdoors, but you still have decent -- potentially even resort-level -- amenities.  If you think about it, it makes sense for an ice cream flavor.  I mean, you can't bring a pint of ice cream on a hardcore camping trip, it would melt.  But if you are glamping then you'll likely have access to a large freezer and you can stock up on your favorite ice creams to enjoy.  This flavor looks a bit like a nutty s'mores-like flavor which pretzels in the mix as well.  I'm looking forward to it.

Opening the pint, I see the chocolate base with one of the fudge-covered almonds visible right away along with a bit of the marshmallow swirl.  The marshmallow swirl here reminds me a bit of the S'mores flavor or Phish Food.  It is not an intense marshmallow flavor, but it serves to 'soften' the pint a bit -- make it faster melting and a bit 'goopy' as you reach the bottom of the pint.  The pretzel swirl is interesting.  It is more gritty than crunchy.  Like the marshmallow, the flavor is not that strong, but it does effectively deliver a bit saltiness which is fun.  The chocolate covered almonds are quite delicious.

I liked this pint.  Because of the chocolate base and the marshmallow swirl this feels like yet another twist on Phish Food, but I don't mind that because Phish Food is one of my favorite flavors.  Also, interesting to see Ben & Jerry's on a big camping kick with this flavor and the limited batch Gimme S'mores flavors coming out at the same time (and they already have another S'mores flavor, too!).  The pretzel swirl is well done and an interesting new idea.  Lots of pints have similarly gritty graham cracker or cookie swirls, but this one delivers salt.  It opens up a lot of new possibilities for future flavors.




  

1 comment:

  1. I liked this flavor better than any of the other flavors of BJ that cake out this year. The Target exclusives are usually better than their other flavors.

    I did just try their Home Sweet Honeycomb Flavor in England. I wish we had that here. It’s the best BJ flavor I have had in a long time!

    ReplyDelete