Saturday, September 2, 2017

McConnell's - Mexican Chocolate Sorbet

Mexican Chocolate Sorbet - Chocolate Sorbet with Hints of Vanilla, Espresso and Cinnamon

Today is pint three of the McConnell's Melting Pot Collection.  The flavor is Mexican Chocolate Sorbet.  From previous reviews, we know that a sorbet is dairy free -- it is basically flavoring, sugar and ice.  The flavor of sorbet is usually a fruit juice which makes it a lot like a frozen slushie.  It is not uncommon, though, to have a Chocolate Sorbet.  Chocolate contains cocoa butter (which not dairy) so it can provide a bit of its own creaminess.  Indeed, I have reviewed a pint of chocolate sorbet before.  The 'mexican' qualifier on the chocolate means that it has a bit of spice added.  I have reviewed a pint of mexican chocolate before as well.  I am looking forward to trying this out.

Removing the lid shows that the chocolate sorbet is extremely dark -- almost black!  There is no milk or cream to lighten up the color.  Digging in, the sorbet is very dense and quite tough.  Some that I think is due to the dry-ice treatment before and during shipping.  I left the pint out for several minutes first, but it was still hard to get the spoon through.  The sorbet is very chocolatey with a noticeable hint of cinnamon but it was not too strong.  It was flavorful.  As I ate my way further down into the pint, I did notice the espresso every once in a while, otherwise it was chocolate with a mild cinnamon accent.  As it softened up, it got a little slushy and at the bottom of the pint, I was quite full.  A flavor like this is probably better a scoop at a time.

I think this is a well-done pint of chocolate sorbet.  Lots of chocolate and very dense.  I would have preferred the cinnamon to be a little stronger.  I was a bit surprised that it was not spicier after the super-flavorful Masala Chai flavor from last time.  Also, I think I'm not really a chocolate sorbet type of guy.  I like a chocolate dairy mix.  For that reason and for having more spice, I prefer Steve's Mexican Chili Chocolate to this flavor.  Still, if you are more of a chocolate sorbet person than me and find yourself a McConnell's scoop shop then give this flavor a sample.  It is quite chocolatey.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment