Wednesday, September 27, 2017

New Orleans - Bananas Foster

Bananas Foster - Caramel Ice Cream with Banana Pieces, Nutmeg & Rum

We return to the New Orleans Ice Cream Company today.  I found a grocery store which stocks more of their flavors.  The flavor today is Bananas Foster.   As detailed in a previous review, Bananas Foster was invented by Paul Blange to serve to one of his favorite customer, Richard Foster, at Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans in 1951, so it totally makes sense that a New Orleans-based ice cream brand would feature this flavor.  We'll see if the local brand can do it better.

Removing the lid shows a very light color to the caramel base.  Digging in, the banana flavor is evident sooner than the caramel.  I feel the small, pea-sized banana pieces in there as I am eating and they taste good.  I sense a bit of nutmeg and rum in the mix as well, neither one is very strong but they built up as I continued eating the pint.  When I got to the bottom of the pint, I got a bit of a surprise -- a significant amount of caramel sauce was sitting at the bottom of the pint.  So, the mildness of the caramel base is actually due to a mixing issue.  I wonder if I just got a bad batch or if this is a problem with all (or most) pint of this flavor.  It still tasted good, but it would have been better had the caramel been mixed or swirled throughout the whole pint.

A bit of an uneven pint here.  I do like the banana and the banana pieces but the caramel was not mixed in well and I prefer a bit more of a kick from both my spices (nutmeg) and my rum.  Not bad if it's all that is available, but I prefer the Coolhaus implementation.






  

No comments:

Post a Comment