Sunday, September 10, 2017

McConnell's - Turkish Coffee

Turkish Coffee - Coffee Ice Cream with Crushed Espresso Beans
Today is yet another pint from the Santa Barbara-based McConnell's brand.  Today's flavor is Turkish Coffee.  What makes a coffee Turkish?  I looked it up and it is a way of making unfiltered coffee.  Ground coffee and sugar are added to the water before it is slowly boiled and the grounds are left in the cup while you drink it.  It will be interesting to see how this translates into a pint of ice cream.

Removing the lid shows... well look a the picture below.  It looks like a cup of sand!  The coffee ice cream is brown and there are so many small pieces of crushed espresso beans that it gives the ice cream a sandy texture.  Tasting the ice cream, the coffee flavor is fairly potent as you would expect.  The crushed beans were surprisingly tasty.  They were for me at least.  I must confess that I'm not a coffee drinker (I don't like drinking hot liquids) but I do occasionally steal a single coffee bean from the grocery store dispensers and chew on it while I shop.  The beans here reminded me of that taste.  With all of this coffee, it was not overwhelmingly strong.  Some flavors are designed to overdose the coffee junkies while this is just good coffee flavor. 

This is a good pint of coffee ice cream.  The coffee base with non-chunky fine-grained coffee bean mix-ins is a good idea which I haven't seen before.  Haagen-Dazs did a chocolate version of that with their Belgian Chocolate flavor which was also fun.  Coffee-lovers should check this out.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment