Thursday, March 8, 2018

Milkjam Creamery - Cereal Killers

Cereal Killers - Orange Coriander Milk with Candied Pebbles
Today, I decided to try a new brand!  I have gotten multiple recommendations from friends and family for the Milkjam Creamery in the Lyn-Lake neighborhood of Minneapolis.  I went in to check and out and they had some pre-packaged pints, so I grabbed a pint.  The Milkjam Creamery was founded in 2016 by brothers Sameh and Saed Wadi who also run the World Street Kitchen restaurant next door.  They've decided to apply their culinary talents to ice cream.

The flavor I picked for today is called Cereal Killers   -- an orange coriander base with fruity pebbles cereal as a mix-in.  Looks pretty interesting.  I have heard of cereal-based ice cream before but a couple of things intrigue me here.  First is orange in the base.  I don't usually put orange juice in my cereal, but I suppose one might have a glass of orange juice with the cereal.  The other thing is the inclusion of coriander, sometimes known as cilantro.  Not once in my life have I been eating a bowl of cereal and thought to myself:  "you know, this could use some coriander", but you never know.  I am quite curious to see how this tastes.

A note to those who clicked the flavors link above.  This month, they have temporarily renamed all of their flavors after famous women in honor of Women's History Month.  This flavor is now called Chloe Kim in honor of the Olympic snowboarding gold medalist.  We do know that she likes ice cream.  I assume that when March is over, they'll change the flavor names back.

On to the ice cream!  The top of the pint is an orange-ish yellow color and a few of the fruity pebbles are visible right away.  As I dig into the pint, this orange milk base is surprisingly good.  It is very thick, yet also soft and creamy.  Sometimes citrus flavors are too acidic to mix with milk, but that didn't happen here.  I don't see a detailed list of ingredients but other pints have delivered orange flavoring with an oil which mixes well with milk and perhaps that is what happened here.  The effect of the coriander was quite subtle.  I did not actually immediately notice the flavor but every once in a while a note of savoriness would hit me.  The fruity pebbles provided quite a bit of color and textural difference.  I was expecting them to be crunchy, but they were more like the cereal at the end of a bowl which has been soaking up milk for several minutes.

This was a fun pint of ice cream.  If the fruity pebbles had been crunchier it would have been a home run, but it was still a pretty good flavor.  Perhaps they stay crunchier in the scoop shop?  I'm not sure.  The orange-milk base was the best part for me.  Don't be afraid of the coriander -- the effect was quite subtle. 
I am looking forward to trying other flavors.

  



No comments:

Post a Comment