Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Three Twins - Chocolate Orange Confetti

Chocolate Orange Confetti - Chocolate Ice Cream with an Orange Flair and Flecks of Dark Chocolate

Today is a review of the Three Twins brand's Chocolate Orange Confetti flavor.  Three Twins is the branded based in San Rafael, California founded by Neal Gottlieb.  The story of the clever brand name is available in a previous review.    I am intrigued by the mixture of chocolate and orange.  I hadn't seen that combination before.  I thought it was forbidden combination -- like mixing orange and toothpaste -- but a quick google search shows that it is not that uncommon.  It is actually pint I've reviewed which includes any orange at all.  Orange is much more common in sherbet's and sorbets.

Opening the pint, it looks like chocolate ice cream but I can smell the orange right away.  As I ate the first spoonful, I got quite a bit of orange flavoring which I was not expecting from something which looked so much like chocolate.  If I closed my eyes, I could actually imagine that I was eating an orange push-up at times.  Then I had to refocus to pick up the chocolate flavor again.  The two flavors coexisted without competing against each other.  I checked the ingredient list and organic orange oil is used to provide the orange flavor.  Orange oil (which is mostly limonene) comes from the rind and contains none of the acids present in orange juice.  Its the acids which don't mix well with milk and cream.  Dispersed throughout the pint are small dark chocolate flecks -- the 'confetti'.  These added a little bit of chocolate flavoring but not much as they were pretty small.

This was a fun pint.  It was mainly fun because it was a new flavor combination for me.   It is a rather eclectic combination, though.  If this combination intrigues you (or you know that you already like it) then give this pint a try.







  

No comments:

Post a Comment