Tuesday, August 9, 2016

BLVD Tasty - Lemon Cream


Lemon Cream - Tangy Lemon & Sweet Cream Ice Cream


Today we explore a new brand!   The BLVD Tasty brand Based in Marietta, Georgia (near Atlanta), started in 2010 by the same people that make High Road Craft Ice Cream.  It looks like BLVD Tasty is a sub-brand if High Craft intended exclusively for sale in Whole Foods markets.  They have an interesting selection of flavors so I thought I'd try it out.  I thought I'd try the lemon flavor first.  I really like lemon as a flavor but it is often hard to mix with into ice cream.  We'll see if they are successful.

Removing the lid shows a very light colored based.  An off-white yellow as one would expect from a mixture of lemon and sweet cream.  Eating my way into the pint, its a thick creamy sweet cream base but I do not taste a lot of lemon.  I think maybe I noted a hint of it in the first spoonful but after a while that flavor faded and it felt like I was eating just pint of thick sweet cream.  It was good sweet cream but it felt like it needed something else.  The fact that there are no mix-ins magnifies the lemon strength issue.  Its possible that I got a bad batch.  If you've had this and it was more lemon-y let me know.

So, unfortunately, this was a bit of a disappointing pint.  Indeed, it is hard to mix lemon into ice cream.  So far the best lemon flavoring I've had has come from McConnell's Eureka Lemon and Marionberry where the lemon base was icy but quite lemony.  There the marionberry swirl took center stage, though.  For the best citrus mix, I liked Haagen-Dazs' Vanilla Tangerine & Shortbread. where the citrus was swirled into vanilla creating a Dreamsicle-like experience.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment