Saturday, March 17, 2018

Izzy's - Mint Chocolate Chip

Mint Chocolate Chip - Peppermint Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips
 It has been a while since I've had a pint of mint chocolate chip -- my favorite flavor.  Because I never repeat a pint, I always have to hunt down a different brand in order to have my favorite flavor.  So, I checked and I haven't had Mint Chocolate Chip from the Saint-Paul-based Izzy's brand.  It has actually been a while since I've had any pint from Izzy's.  I don't know what has been keeping me away.  It is also Saint Patrick's Day and although most premium ice creams don't add green food coloring anymore, at least the mint flavor feels green.  

The top of the pint is bright white in color -- as I guessed, no green food coloring.  A few chips are visible right away.  Digging in, the mint flavor is fairly potent and it is a bit different than usual.  This is a dry mint flavor.  It makes me think of a peppermint lifesaver.  It is almost chalky.  The chips are dispersed throughout the pint and are the crumbly-crunchy flavor variety.  They are good, but they seem to be a bit lower in density than other mint chocolate chips.  This is a pint which emphasizes the mint over the chocolate chip.

This is a decent pint but I must admit I was a bit disappointed.  Perhaps it is because mint chocolate chip is my favorite flavor and I've had so many great pints (my favorites are still McConnell's and Graeter's) or perhaps it is because I have such high expectations for Izzy's who have some amazing flavors like Irish Moxie and Midnight Snack.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment