Monday, October 15, 2018

Milkjam Creamery - Gimme Some More

Gimme Some More - Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with Marshmallows and Graham Cracker Pieces

I went back to Milkjam Creamery in Minneapolis to pick out a couple of pints.  The first pint is called Gimme Some More.  A press release had said that it was a flavor that had returned, but it appears to be gone again.  I think this is a limited flavor that recurs.  Anyhow, s'mores are big this year.  The flavor name is actually the same pun that Ben & Jerry's used for their limited batch flavor this year.  It is a rather obvious pun so I don't doubt that they each came up with it independently.  S'mores is a fun ice cream flavor because there are there are so many different ways to combine the three ingredients.  My recent Graeter's review has what I think is the latest and greatest summary of all the different s'mores combinations that I have tried.  For this pint, Milkjam has given me no guidance as to how the ingredients will be combined.  We'll have to open the pint to see!

The top of the pint is almost black!  It is not quite as black as their Black flavor, but it is pretty dark.  I am pretty sure this is a dairy version of a dark chocolate ice cream while 'Black' used coconut and almond milks.  The amount of dark cocoa used is very high, so the color is strikingly dark.  There are several mix-ins visible right away.  I can't tell if they are marshmallows or graham crackers quite yet.  Digging in, the base is very rich and chocolatey.  The first mix-ins I encountered were marshamallows.  These marshmallows were not right out of a bag, they had the gelatinous texture of something that was homemade or perhaps half-melted.  As I continue eating, I occasionally run into a graham cracker cluster which is crunchy and provided some graham cracker flavor as well.  The marshmallows outnumbered the graham crackers by about two to one.  The flavor provided by each mix-in was rather brief though as there is just so much chocolate here.  As you can tell by the pictures below, the chocolate base got gooier as I continued eating.

This is a rich and decadent pint of ice cream.  As I mentioned above, there are so many ways to combine the three main ingredients of s'mores and each brand has a different spin on the combination.  This one is very chocolate-heavy which would be close to the old standard s'mores flavor from Ben & Jerry's (not the newer limited batch version).  This is probably a step up from that.  If you want a thick and gooey chocolatey pint, try this one out when it returns.





No comments:

Post a Comment