Thursday, September 6, 2018

Milkjam Creamery - Black

Black - The Darkest Coco

When a neighbor of mine first recommended Minneapolis' Milkjam Creamery, she made a point to single out a flavor called Black.  Each time I have gone, I have been distracted by flavors which have more complex flavor combinations and I end up getting those instead.  Both times I've run into this neighbor, I've thanked her for recommending Milkjam because I enjoyed this flavor or that flavor and both times she's asked me "Did you try 'Black'?"  So I decided that I had to try this flavor.  It appears to be a simple dark chocolate sorbet, although there is a 'nut' icon on the menu next to the flavor.  I checked and found and interview with the owner of Milkjam and he said that the flavor is made with a mixture of coconut and almond milks.  The presence of non-dairy substitutes might be why it isn't labeled a 'sorbet'.  I found a link to someone who liked the flavor so much that they posted a recipe trying to mimic the flavor.  This should be interesting.

After opening the pint this is indeed black!  This is not only the blackest ice cream I have ever seen, this is one of the blackest colors I have ever seen.  This could be a tub of black finger paint.  Scooping, it is a bit softer and creamier than most sorbets.  The coconut and almond milks are doing their jobs here.  The flavor is super chocolatey but not bitter.  I read some reviews saying that it is bitter but I disagree.  I really like this flavor.  I'm not sure if the coconut and almond milks are adding anything specific flavor-wise to the mix but I really like this flavor.

This is the best dark chocolate ice cream or sorbet that I have ever had.  The color is beautiful, the texture is creamy and the flavor is delicious.  This definitely deserves to be one of MilkJam's signature flavors.  Dark chocolate lovers in Minnesota need to check this out.  The success of this flavor has me curious to try their namesake MilkJam flavor the next time I visit.  Enjoy.






1 comment:

  1. Just found this blog and I love it! I had to see if you tried Black and of course you had! I get a scoop of Black and a scoop of Toasted Coconut. Delicious combo. Thanks for sharing your reviews!

    ReplyDelete