Sunday, September 30, 2018

Sweet Science - Caramel Apple Cider Crisp


Caramel Apple Cider Crisp - Honeycrisp Apple Cider Ice Cream with a Caramel Swirl and Gluten-Free Streusel
I was a little late picking up the September flavors from the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science brand because I was waiting for their new scoop shop in the Keg & Case Market to open up.  The first September flavor is one I have already reviewed, S'mores.  (It was really good)  The second flavor is called Caramel Apple Cider Crisp.  It looks like a perfect flavor for fall.  It has Minnesotan-cultivated Honeycrisp apples, caramel and a streusel which works well in their popular Berry Crumble flavor.  This looks fun.  Let's check it out.

Opening the pint, the top is a yellow color with some brown from the caramel and streusel visible.  The first spoonful is quite soft! I checked the ingredient list and there is brandy and vodka in there!  That would explain the softness.  Alcohol lowers the freezing point of ice cream.  The flavor is quite apple-y with quite a bit of caramel as well.  Now that I know the ice cream has been 'spiked', I can tell there is a bit of a kick to the flavor as well.  Don't worry, it is not a very boozy pint -- you can feed it to your apple-loving small children with no worry.  I really like the flavor combination.  With the streusel adding nice texture, it tastes like a piece of caramel apple pie and the small amount of alcohol gives it a 'warmth'.  It is all so fresh too.

I really liked this flavor.  It is fairly unique too.  I checked my archives and the only thing similar was a Caramel Apple Pie flavor from Talenti.  I liked this flavor, but this flavor from Sweet Science is a significant improvement upon it.  Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment