Saturday, October 28, 2017

Sweet Science - S'mores

S'mores - Graham Cracker Ice Cream with Marshmallow, Chocolate Ganache and Chocolate-Covered Grahams

It is time for another pint that I picked up at the Sweet Science tasting that I attended a couple of weeks ago.  Today's flavor is S'mores which is the combination of chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers.  It is a much more sure-to-please flavor mix which is in contrast to the previous pint which was more experimental.   This is the third brand I've tried which has done a s'mores implementation.  It will be fun to see how this pint is different from the other two.

Removing the lid shows the yellowish color of the graham cracker base.  Appearance-wise, the base itself almost looks dry -- like it is a cake.  There are chocolate bits present as well as a big hunk of exposed marshmallow.  I press it with my finger and it is a bit gelatinous.  It appears to be untoasted.  Digging in, the graham cracker base is creamy once you scoop into it.  It does not have a strong flavor but it serves as a vehicle for the mix-ins.  The marshmallow is interesting.  I am used to either a creamy swirl or small chewy mini-marshmallow.  These are sizeable gelatinous clumps.  The ingredient list calls it "marshmallow fluff".  There are two types of chocolate mix-ins.  About half of them are chocolate covered graham crackers.  Here, the graham crackers are soft and bready.  These are good.  The other half appears to be filled with chocolate ganache -- so I would get an unexpected burst of salty chocolate flavor when I bit into those.  The ganache was the highlight of the pint for me.

I really enjoyed this pint.  The folks at Sweet Science really know how to mix their ingredients.  Creative, too.  This is not the obvious way to mix the ingredients of s'mores. How does this rank compared to the other s'mores implementations that I've had so far?  It is hard to judge because they are all so very different, but I must admit that this pint was my favorite.  Here the graham crackers are the base for chocolatey mix-ins and cool marshmallow fluff.  In second was the Coolhaus with its vanilla base, chocolate & marshmallow mix-ins and graham-crackery swirl.  Finally, the Ben & Jerry's takes the bronze with its chocolate base, chocolate mix-ins and marshmallow and graham cracker swirls.  This isn't to say that I disliked the Ben & Jerry's, but it is very similar to Phish Food which I like better.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment