Sunday, June 14, 2020

Lick - Lady Bird Lavender Crisp

Lady Bird Lavender Crisp - Lavender Ice Cream with Cinnamon Brown Sugar Crisp

Today I return to the Austin-based Lick Honest Ice Cream for the sixth and final pint from my online order which was shipped to my house.  This flavor is called Lady Bird Lavender Crisp.  This was one of their spring flavors (they have since switched their seasonal offerings to summer flavors).  A note to local readers that this flavor in not available in local Twin Cities grocery stores.  The Lady Bird in the name comes from the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin.  The side of the carton mentions that the lavender used here is from the Texas Hill Country just to the west and southwest of Austin -- perhaps from a place like the Hill Country Lavender Farm in Blanco, but that's just an educated guess of mine that I got from doing an internet search for lavender from the Hill Country.  Mixed in with the lavender is a cinnamon and brown sugar crisp.  Sounds interesting!

Removing the lid, the base ice cream is an off-white color and I see quite a few pieces of the crisp already.  Digging in, I taste the crisp first.  It is very delicious.  The lavender flavor is quite mild, I might not notice it if I was not looking for it.  I taste it more in the 'finish' (aftertaste) rather than as a direct flavor.  Eating further down the pint, I keep enjoying the crisp.  After a while, the slighter-faster-than normal melting of the Lick brand bases starts to give me a bit of a cereal-milk vibe.  That's not a complaint, I actually like that.

This is a delicious pint from Lick Honest Ice Cream.  It is more crisp than lavender, so people looking specifically for the lavender might be a little disappointed, but it's a good crisp and I thought it was delicious.  This completes my six-pint shipment from Lick.  Overall it is a decent brand.  It's a bit on the milky side rather than rich in butterfat.  Perhaps a milkier ice cream is more refreshing in the hot summers of Texas?  I will keep my eye on Lick's website.  If the flavors are interesting enough, I may order from them again.







No comments:

Post a Comment