Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Milkjam Creamery - Proud

Proud - Rainbow Sherbet Comprised of Lime Leaf, Pineapple, Blackberry, Blueberry, Raspberry and Orange Sherbets
I made my first trek to Minneapolis scoop shops since the pandemic began last week.  Most of them are open now, and I had gotten to the point where I was comfortable popping in, grabbing a couple pints and popping back out.  On this trip, I went to Milkjam Creamery and Sebastian Joe's.  So I have a two pints of each to review in the near future.  The first pint from my trip is from Milkjam Creamery and is called Proud.  It is a rainbow sherbet made in honor of Pride month (June) and although I am writing this review up a bit later, I did manage to eat this on the last day of June.  The Milkjam does not put a lot of details on their website, but I find their instagram posts have decent descriptions of their flavors.  An informative post for Proud is here.  There, they describe all the different types of sherbets used to form the rainbow:  lime leaf, pineapple, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry and orange.  I have had rainbow sherbet once before from Baskin Robbins.  In that review, I also discuss what sherbet is -- it's partway between the dairy-rich ice cream and the dairy-free sorbet.  Let's see how today's pint compares.

Removing the lid, I see not a full rainbow, but a lot of dark pink and yellow.  Digging in, I taste the berry right away.  It was sort of a berry mix.  It was delicious, though.  Eating more, I taste the pineapple at times (a very distinctive flavor) and sometimes I tasted orange.  And although I did not catch any of it in the photos below, I sometimes had a small green section which had good lime flavor in it.  A little bit of lime goes a long way.  I did not notice distinct berry sections, so perhaps a berry blend was indeed used -- but it's possible they were all in there and they blended together in my mouth.

This is a very bright, fruity and enjoyable version of rainbow sherbet from Milkjam Creamery.  Visually, it does not have quite as many colored stripes in it as I would expect from all the ingredients listed on the instagram page but taste-wise, it was very delicious.  I did like this pint better than Baskin Robbins (which only contains three flavors) but you can't go wrong with either.  It looks like they've cycled the flavor back out now that Pride Month is over but I think a fruity sherbet like this would work well all summer long.  If you see the flavor cycled back in and are in the mood for a blast of fruit, check this one out.







No comments:

Post a Comment