Sunday, August 6, 2017

Baskin Robbins - Rainbow Sherbet

Rainbow Sherbet - Pineapple, Orange and Raspberry Flavored Sherbet


Today's flavor is Baskin Robbins' Rainbow Sherbet.  I have to admit that it made me smile nostalgically when I saw it in the freezer case.  I really liked orange sherbet when I was a kid.  This is my first sherbet review, so let me say a few things about sherbet.  First, there is only one 'r' in sherbet and is pronounced "sure-bit".   It is a common mispronunciation to say "sure-bert" instead -- common enough that some dictionaries list 'sherbert' as an alternate spelling -- but "sherbet" is correct.  The next question would be to ask what exactly is sherbet and what makes it different from ice cream and sorbet.  It is all about the amount of milkfat.  'Ice cream' is a thick, rich dessert which the FDA requires to contain at least 10% milkfat.   On the other hand, a sorbet contains no dairy products at all.  Sorbets contain flavored syrup (usually fruit juice and sugar) and ice.  A 'sherbet' is in the middle.  The FDA requirements for sherbet are that it contain between 1% and 2% milkfat.  Sherbets are almost always fruit-based and the presence of some dairy give it a slightly creamy texture.  Today's sherbet is a 'rainbow' mixture of pineapple, orange and raspberry flavors.

Enough talk, let's eat!  Removing the lid shows a marble-like swirling of the three flavors.  It reminded me a bit of the way my last pint of spumoni was marbled.  Digging in, sherbet has a different texture to it than ice cream.  It is still soft and creamy but it has a bit of grit to it.  The fruit flavors are quite noticeable.  The raspberry and orange more so than the pineapple.  I think orange and raspberry might just be more dominant flavors to my tongue.  If I focused, I could sense the pineapple producing an undercurrent of tropicalness.  Also, as I scoop lower, the colors are quite striking.  See the pictures below, it is quite beautiful.

I had quite a bit of fun eating this pint.  Sherbet is a great way to provide fruit flavoring -- especially citrus flavors.  If you feel like something light and fruity, then you could give this one a try.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment