Saturday, August 26, 2017

Jeni's - Pistachio & Honey

Pistachio & Honey - Pistachio & Honey Ice Cream

We return to the Columbus-based Jeni's brand for their Pistachio & Honey flavor.  Recently, I had tried a pint of pistachio from the usually-reliable Tillamook brand and was disappointed.  A reader in the comment section mentioned that I should try Jeni's, so I ran out and picked up a pint.  As you may recall from previous reviews, Jeni's is the super-premium brand which uses tapioca starch as a thickening agent.  I am hoping that they restore my faith in the pistachio flavor.  Here, they mix the pistachio with honey.

Removing the lid shows a beige color instead of the green that I normally imagine when I think of pistachio.  There might be a tinge of olive green if I look at for a bit.  That was the case with the Tillamook pint as well, but here the presence of honey might be another explanation.  Digging in, there is quite a bit of pistachio flavor as I eat each spoonful.  The honey seems to add a bit sweetness as well as a little bit of an aftertaste. I mean aftertaste in a good way here.  Ample Hills' Commodore flavor had a similar salted honey aftertaste and I loved that flavor.  As usual with Jeni's, this is a very thick and slow-melting pint.  The tapioca starch is doing its job.

I really enjoyed this pint.  I think the honey was what was missing in the Tillamook pint that I had a couple of weeks ago.  Jeni's has restored my faith in pistachio ice cream!  If you're a fan of pistachio, give this pint a try.





  

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this flavor, as well.

    McConnells has a limited edition flavor right now called rose water and pistachio. It's amazing (I do love floral flavors, though).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you mention that, I have the Melting Pot Collection in my freezer as we speak.

      Delete
  2. The entire melting pot collection is great. The rose is my favorite, then the chai. Fun flavors.

    ReplyDelete