Sunday, August 13, 2017

Tillamook - California Pistachio

California Pistachio - Pistachio Gelato

Today we return to Oregon's Tillamook Creamery for their California Pistachio flavor.  I haven't had a pint of Tillamook in a while and I was in the mood for pistachio, so I thought I would give it a try.  Interestingly, it is labeled as a 'farmstyle gelato'.  They seem to be careful on their flavor page to make the distiction between gelatos, ice creams and frozen custards.

Popping off the lid, the top of the pint is an off-white cream color which small specks visible if I look closer.  I was not expecting this as pistachio ice creams are usually light green in color.  Perhaps this means they are not using artificial colors, or maybe it is the variety of pistachio being used?  Not sure.  Digging in, the flavor is recognizable as pistachio, but it seems different.  It is hard to describe.  It is a bit nuttier perhaps, definitely less sweet than I was expecting.   Eating my way further down, the flavor did not improve.  It was not a strong or overpowering flavor, but it was not the refreshing palate-cleansing flavor that I am used to from other pints of pistachio.  The pint did have the thick but soft consistency which are found in other Tillamook pints.  I did like that.

I usually try to spin a positive opinion here, but I simply did not care for this pint.  I was expecting a simple pistachio flavor but something was off here.  Did I get a bad batch?  Was I suppose to accompany this with something?  Not sure.  For a pint of pistachio, I greatly prefer Ben & Jerry's.




  

3 comments:

  1. I highly recommend trying Jeni's Pistachio & Honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I found a pint. It is fourth in my freezer queue so it will be a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete