Sunday, June 14, 2015

Ben & Jerry's - Triple Caramel Chunk

Triple Caramel Chunk - Caramel Ice Cream with a Swirl of Caramel and Fudge Covered Caramel Chunks.

One of the things I noticed on my trip to London ice-cream-wise was the popularity in the UK of a flavour called Caramel Chew Chew.  Checking the ingredients list, I noticed that this flavor exists in the United States as Triple Caramel Chunk.  It also appears to be very popular in Canada as well, where it goes by Caramel Hat Trick.  Three names for the same flavor is quite curious.  I guess the Canadian name has a hockey appeal, but I don't know why it doesn't go by Caramel Chew Chew in the US.  That's a much more clever name in my opinion.  Anyhow, I had other UK-only flavours to review while I was over there so I waited until I got back states-side to review this one.  Funny thing is that over here the flavor is relatively obscure.  Do the Brits enjoy caramel better than the Yanks?

Opening the pint, you see all the ingredients right away.  The very light brown color of the caramel base with the swirl visible right away as well as signs of a couple of the chocolate-covered caramel chunks.  Digging into the pint, the caramel base does not have a strong flavor.  You could definitely tell it is not vanilla, but its purpose is to hold the fillins.  The caramel swirl was tasty when I got a bit of it on my spoon but there was not as much of this swirl as I was expecting.   But that did not matter because the star of the pint was the chocolate-covered caramel chunks.  These were large and fairly numerous.  I thought they'd be the shape of peanut-butter cups but they were 'dot'-candy-shaped.  About half or two-thirds the size of the dot.  They chocolate covering was firm at first, but when you bit into one you get a squirt of caramel which is inside.  It was a like a chocolate and caramel version of Freshen-Up gum.  With that, there was no shortage of caramel in this pint.

A successful flavor in my opinion.  I wonder why this is not more popular in the US?  Americans prefer caramel as an accent for chocolate and not as a flavor in itself?  If you're a caramel fan, check this flavor out and let me know.






No comments:

Post a Comment