Sunday, July 12, 2015

Ben & Jerry's - Truffle Trifecta (Walgreens Exclusive)

Truffle Trifecta - Chocolate Ice Cream with Marshmallow, Fudge & Caramel Truffles
I don't usually find myself at Walgreen's very often and when I am there, I'm usually not looking for food.  I'm usually on vacation and its a convenient nearby place to pick up wrapping paper or cold medication.  When I am at home, my closest drug store is a Rite-Aid though I usually end up buying drug-store-type things at Target.  So imagine my surprise when I found out that Walgreen's had an exclusive Ben & Jerry's flavor!  I didn't know they even had ice cream there, but sure enough almost every Walgreen's has a freezer case somewhere in the back.  There usually aren't more than a few flavors and the prices are always over five bucks, but indeed they do sell ice cream there.  It took a bit of hunting to find a store that had the exclusive flavor but I finally found one and got a pint of Truffle Trifecta home to my own freezer.

A chocolate base with marshmallow, fudge and caramel... that sounds a lot like Phish Food.  But instead of the fill-ins being swirled into a gooey pint, they are encapsulated into small chocolate-covered "truffles".

Opening the pint, I see the brown chocolate base with a hint of the truffles embedded within.  As you dig into the pint, the truffles appear to be the same shape as the mini-peanut butter cups which are included in other flavors, although instead of being filled with peanut butter they are filled with either fudge, caramel or marshmallow.  A picture of the truffles and a cross-section of one of them is included.  The truffles themselves are not a very efficient way of delivering marshmallow or caramel.  You do get a hint of those flavors when you bite into a truffle of each kind but you mostly taste the chocolate shell.  Also, when encased in the truffle, the pint stays solid and never gets gooey.

I definitely still prefer Phish Food as to way to deliver this set of ingredients, but if you are intrigued about a more solid and chunky version of Phish Food which you can only get at a drug store, then give this a shot -- if you can find it.








No comments:

Post a Comment