Monday, January 18, 2016

Steve's - Brooklyn Blackout Cake

Brooklyn Blackout Cake - Ovenly Dark Chocolate Stout Cake folded into rich dark chocolate ice cream made with grass-fed milk and cream with a swirl of dark chocolate pudding.


Back to Steve's for this week's ice cream review.  Steve's is the old Boston scoop shop which pioneered the use of the mix-in and its brand has recently been revived as a provider of premium pints.  I was in the mood for chocolate so I thought I'd try out the Brooklyn Blackout Cake flavor.  I was not familiar with the cake version of Brooklyn Blackout Cake so I looked it up.  It is a layered chocolate cake with chocolate pudding between the layers and chocolate frosting on the outside.  Sounds very chocolatey!  I can't wait to dig in.

Opening the lid of Steve's DIY-style packaging, I see a light-brown color of the chocolate base with some of the pudding swirl evident on top.  Digging into the pint, the pudding swirl seemed to disappear but I think what happened is that it got blended into the chocolate base because that base was very delicious.  The cake pieces revealed themselves below as well and they were quite tasty.  They were very soft and had a kick of dark chocolate bitterness to them.  All of the chocolate ingredients were billed on the carton as being 'dark' but really only the cake was a true dark chocolate.  A few of the cake pieces near the bottom of the pint were a bit frozen but that's a minor quibble.

I really enjoyed this pint and would have it again.  It's kind of a fancier version of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie but cake pieces instead of brownies and a more flavorful chocolate base.  I would go so far as to say that I like this better than Chocolate Fudge Brownie.  So, if you are a chocolate fan and you like your chocolate mix-in's in soft and chewy form then give this one a whirl.



No comments:

Post a Comment