Thursday, February 18, 2016

Ben & Jerry's - Brownie Batter Core

Brownie Batter Core - Chocolate & Vanilla Ice Creams with Fudge Brownies & a Brownie Batter Core
I always find myself surveying the Ben & Jerry's section every time I'm at the grocery store.  I know I've had all the flavors, heck I was probably just there a couple of days ago, but I still have to check it out every time.  I never expect to find anything.  Usually a hear about new flavors ahead of time but last week, I actually stumbled upon a new core flavor!  Brownie Batter Core.

As mentioned in previous reviews, a "core" flavor pint has a central cylindrical core of a some sort of goopy mix-in.  Previous cores have featured fudge, caramel, jam and cookie butter.  Here, the goopy core is brownie batter.

Ben & Jerry's has had a Brownie Batter flavor before, but in a non-core form but they retired it in 2011.  The old Brownie Batter flavor is on their list of most missed flavors.  Encouraging to see something from the Flavor Graveyard resurrected -- if you see an old favorite of yours on the list there may still be hope.

Enough chatter, on to the ice cream.  Removing the lid, I see that like many of the core flavors that this pint has a split base.  The chocolate is on one side and the vanilla is on the other.  Already on top you can see the top of the cylinder of brownie batter.  Digging in, the chocolate and vanilla bases taste as you would expect them too.  Occasionally on the vanilla side there was a small brownie piece but there were not as many actually brownie pieces as I was expected.  No matter, as there is a lot of brownie batter in the core and it is very good.  It is soft and chocolatey and easier to eat than a fudge core.  As much as I enjoy the fudge-core flavors, you can get too much fudge in one spoonful.  Part of the fun of eating a fudge-core flavor is trying to incorporate just the right amount of fudge into each scoop.  None of this is an issue with brownie batter.  I think if the whole pint was just brownie batter, it would still be delicious.  Of course, I was glad the ice cream was there, though.  I actually enjoyed the vanilla contrast to the brownie batter.  If it was just a chocolate base, it would be just the uncooked version of Chocolate Fudge Brownie.

Indeed, I did enjoy this pint.  As I ate the pint, I found myself wondering "why didn't they think this before".  Obviously, it is for chocolate lovers and brownie fans, so if you're one of those, then check this out.
 



2 comments:

  1. According to our student guide at RPI, that school had the first Ben and Jerry's on a college campus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that opened when I was there! That was before the reviews started, though.

    ReplyDelete