Saturday, November 18, 2017

Sweet Science - Vanilla Mint Fudge

Vanilla Mint Fudge - Peppermint Vanilla Ice Cream with Fudge Sauce
I am continuing to work through the backlog of pints in my freezer.  Today, we switch back to the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science brand for their Vanilla Mint Fudge flavor.  Long time readers may recall that mint chocolate chip is my favorite ice cream flavor.  Since I have not eaten a repeat pint since I started these reviews, I am always excited when I find a pint from a different brand or perhaps a pint which combines peppermint and chocolate in different ways.  Today's pint is a bit of the latter.  Here, there is a peppermint vanilla base (the first time I have seen that combination) and instead of chocolate chips they have a swirl of fudge sauce.

Let's dig in!  The top of the pint shows a yellowish tinge to the peppermint vanilla base.  Most peppermint bases are either white or artificially-colored green.  The reminded me of McConnell's.  The yellow could be from the egg yolks.  There is quite a bit of the fudge sauce visible on top, especially around the sides.  The base ice cream is quite minty.  I was wondering if it was going to be muted because of the mixture with vanilla but it was not.  I couldn't really taste the vanilla, but that could be my palate which often allows other flavors to trump vanilla.  I liked it.  The star of the pint was the fudge sauce.  It was really good.  A bit more like a the topping of a ice cream shop sundae than the usual chocolate or fudge swirl.  Near the top of the pint, it tended to cling to the sides or the container.  I scraped each spoonful against the side to remedy that.  Starting about halfway down, that issue went away and there was plenty of sauce on the bottom of the pint.

This was an excellent pint of ice cream and certainly satisfied my mint-chocolate fix.  As I mentioned above, the sauce made me feel like I was eating a sundae.  A sauce like this would work well with other flavor combinations, too.






  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. Have you tried Jeni's mint chocolate chip? I think I might order that during their Black Friday sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen their Green Mint Chip online, but I've never seen it in a grocery store. The ones I see that I haven't tried are the vanilla, dark & milk chocolate, salted caramel and the older coffee one. Those look good, but the ones online look more unique. In the past I've seen a holiday flavor or two show up at Whole Foods in Nov/Dec, but not yet this year.

      The trouble is that I have a backlog in my freezer. I'm trying eat a little bit faster than my usual two-per-week schedule but I also have to save room for turkey.

      I did see tease for a Black Friday sale, though. I'll check out the details on Friday.

      Delete
  2. My backlog is ridiculous. I hear you! I need to get it under control ... but then I see new things ... and I forgot about that goal. ;)

    Last year the sale was buy four pints get two free. It kinda makes it tempting to do it. I think I might throw green mint chip into my order. I haven't tried it, and, like you, I am a mint chocolate chip fan.

    I'm not a coffee person - but the other flavors you haven't tried are really good. They sound simple, but they are fabulous: a good reminder that simple should not be overlooked.

    ReplyDelete