Thursday, January 18, 2018

Sweet Science - Dynamo Fudge Swirl

 Dynamo Fudge Swirl - Vanilla Malt Ice Cream with a Fudge Swirl
Today's flavor comes from the January tasting for the Sweet Science brand based in Saint Paul.  It is called Dynamo Fudge Swirl.  The tasting was held at a local craft beer place called Tin Whiskers.  The flavor gets its name from that brewery's Dynamo Imperial Stout.  This is not a beer-based flavor, but what Sweet Science did was to take the chocolate used to make that craft beer and create a fudge sauce out of it to use as a swirl against a malted vanilla base.  Looks like a nice way to create a connection with the establishment that is hosting many of their ice cream tastings.

Opening the pint, the malted vanilla as a slightly yellowish tint to it and quite a lot of fudge swirl can be seen marbling the pint.  As I eat my way down, I can taste the malt flavor in the base.  Sometimes malt is included to mute a strong base flavor but here I can taste the malt.  The fudge swirl is thick and tasty.  It reminded me quite a bit of the swirl in the Vanilla Mint Fudge flavor.  It tasted like a fudge topping that would be put on a sundae made in an ice cream parlor.  Thick, chocolatey and not at all sour like chocolate syrup.  Like the Vanilla Mint Fudge swirl, it also tended to stick to the sides of the container.  With a small pint container, I just dragged each spoonful against the edges of the container to add more fudge.  Worked great for me, but it might become an issue in larger batches.  It would be the perfect sauce to have at a scoop shop, though.

This was a good pint of ice cream.  I think I would have preferred it without malt, but that is a personal preference.  I know a lot of people who really like malt flavor.  If you like malted vanilla then this is a good chocolate-sundae version of that base in pint form.








No comments:

Post a Comment