Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Pumphouse Creamery - Brother Justus Single Malt Whiskey

Brother Justus Single Malt Whiskey - Ice cream flavored with Brother Justus Single Malt Whiskey

 

I return to the Pumphouse Creamery of south Minneapolis for their Brother Justus Single Malt Whiskey flavor.  Whiskey is not an uncommon flavor in ice cream -- my whiskey flavor tag has over a dozen pints tagged with it and the bourbon flavor tag has a dozen more (with some overlap, but not all).  I often see it as whiskey accent for brown sugar or caramel-based flavors or as part of an irish cream flavor.  I believe this is the first time that I have seen it as the only flavor in a pint.  So that should be interesting!  The whiskey here is from the Minneapolis-based Brother Justus whiskey company.  There is a note on their website accompanying the flavor description saying that this flavor contains less alcohol than their vanilla flavor.  That's interesting.  Let's see how it tastes.

Opening the pint, the ice cream is a bright white color!  Wow, most vanillas are not even this white!  Checking the Brother Justus website linked above, at least one of the single-malt whiskeys is clear and not brown.  Maybe this is made with that?  Or perhaps, like vanilla extract which is also usually brown in color, there is not enough color in the whiskey to add color to all the milk and cream.  Digging in, I taste the whiskey right away!  It has an aromatic flavor and a mild kick in the back of my throat when I swallow, but it is not so strong that it is overwhelming.  I like it.

This is a fun and interesting whiskey-based flavor from Pumphouse.  It answers the question of what would a whiskey ice cream taste like if it was only flavored with whiskey.  Pretty good!  It does make me wonder what could be used to accompany this.  Could you add a scoop to coffee?  Or would it taste good with pecan pie?  There I guess I would be reproducing some of the more whiskey-based ice cream flavors that I have had before, but it is also good by itself.  I am glad this simple whiskey-only flavor exists.  Check it out if you like other whiskey flavors.







1 comment:

  1. Where'd you go? I enjoyed reading your ice cream reviews

    ReplyDelete