Friday, April 1, 2022

Sweet Science - Olive Oil

Olive Oil - Olive Oil Ice Cream

 

For today's review, I am returning to the Twin-Cities-based Sweet Science Ice Cream for a review of their Olive Oil flavor (instagram link here).  I bought it at the Golden Fig on Grand Avenue in Saint Paul.  This is a limited release of an old flavor.  Way back when I first started trying Sweet Science, they would often put a graphic of a "periodic table" which included all of the "chemical symbols" of their flavors.  They have since updated this table, but back then I remember the "OO" symbol stood out and being intrigued as to what Olive Oil ice cream might taste like.  Well, I finally get to try this flavor.  Checking my archives, I have since had olive-oil flavors from McConnell's (with almonds) and two flavored olive oil flavors from Pumphouse (here and here).  This is just olive oil.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, the ice cream has an off-white color with a greenish yellow tinge.  This is consistent with olive oil.  Digging in, the ice cream is very dense (not a lot of air).  As I eat the spoonful, it still has a creamy texture to it.  I taste notes of olive oil flavor but it is not too strong.  The main flavors are milk and cream.  This is pretty good.  I am wondering if the olive oil is changing the texture in a way similar to how butter can?  Maybe, but I could be trying too hard to make the connection.  This is a homogeneous flavor with no mix-ins.

This is a solid implementation of a simple olive oil flavor from Sweet Science.  It is mostly a plain ice cream but there is just enough olive oil flavor in there so that you can tell it is there.  I can see why other brands add other flavors into the mix (a twist of citrus or perhaps almonds).  But, if you are curious and this flavor is available, certainly give it a try.








No comments:

Post a Comment