Monday, August 17, 2020

Pumphouse Creamery - Chocolate with Blood Orange infused Olive Oil & Sea Salt

Chocolate with Blood Orange infused Olive Oil & Sea Salt - Chocolate Ice Cream with Blood Orange infused Olive Oil & Sea Salt
I decided to check out Pumphouse Creamery in South Minneapolis and see what they were up to.  They have a new flavor:  Chocolate with Blood Orange infused Olive Oil & Sea Salt.  So, I stopped by and picked it up along with a couple of other flavors from their regular line-up which I have not yet tried.  Today, I try the chocolate-orange flavor.  As mentioned in previous reviews, orange goes surprisingly well with chocolate.  I have had a chocolate-orange flavor from Three Twins and chocolate-orange-spice flavors from Izzy's and Milkjam.  Often citrus does not mix well with dairy because of the acidity, but the flavor of orange comes from a chemical called limonene which is oil-soluble.  Here, a blood orange flavor is blended into an olive oil which is then blended into a chocolate ice cream.  I am looking forward to trying this.

Opening the lid, the chocolate base has the expected cocoa brown color.  The top is so smooth that it is hard to get the camera to focus.  Digging in, I actually taste the blood orange right away.  It is very good.  The chocolate is definitely in there, too, but it is something you taste after the orange.  I can have not had Pumphouse's simple chocolate flavor, yet, but I can tell it is good chocolate.  As I continue eating the balance between the orange and the chocolate stays fresh -- one doesn't grow to dominate the other.  The use of blood orange is fun.  It's like there is a hint of berry within the orange as well.

This is an excellent orange-chocolate pint from Pumphouse.  The rich flavor of chocolate blends very well with the bright flavor of blood orange.  Orange-chocolate flavors should be more common.  Check it out.









No comments:

Post a Comment