Friday, March 15, 2019

Milkjam Creamery - Chasing Marrakech

Chasing Marrakech - Milk Chocolate Custard with Ras el Hanout and a Hint of Orange
We're back to the Minneapolis Milkjam Creamery for another new flavor.  This one is called Chasing Marrakech.  This is apparently a reference to a song by Zhu was was featured last year in advertisements for the release of the iPhone XS.  I decided to listen to the song while I ate the ice cream.  It's fun.  The website is not good with ingredient lists, but I found an instagram post which was more helpful.  It lists the ice cream as a milk chocolate custard with moroccan spices (called ras el hanout) and a hint of orange.  I have never had ras el hanout, before.  It looks like a similar blend of flavors that are included in spice blends such as five-spice powder or masala, but each cuisine balances those spices different.  I can't wait to check it out

Opening the pint, the milk chocolate base is the expected brown color.  It is quite a contrast from their flagship non-dairy Black flavor which was jet black in color.  Digging in, I can tell right away that this is milk chocolate and it is quite thick, but still creamy.  They call it a custard but it's not gooey-creamy like a custard -- just thick.  I can taste the spices underneath -- and they have a bit of a gritty texture as well -- but they are not too strong.  They support the chocolate flavor rather than dominate it.  Because of this, I wasn't able to do a very good job of picking out the individual flavors included in the ras el hanout.  It's a good spice mix though.  I'll have to keep my eye out if I'm ever at a place that serves Moroccan food.  The hint of orange was even more subtle than the spices because I did not specifically notice it at all.  It likely contributed something, but this is not specifically an orange-chocolate flavor.

I enjoyed this pint.  The spices were a bit more subtle than I have come to expect from Milkjam Creamery, but it was still tasty.  Since one of their most famous flavors is a Black non-dairy chocolate, it makes sense that they would add some twists into their milk chocolate so that it does not directly try to compete.  I'd recommend chocolate lovers still try their Black flavor first, but if you are there, in the mood for a milkier chocolate and curious about moroccan spices than this could be fun as well.













No comments:

Post a Comment