Sunday, March 17, 2019

Häagen-Dazs - Rum Tres Leches

Rum Tres Leches - Rum-infused Ice Cream with Ribbons of Dulce de Leche and Chunks of Tres Leches Cake

Today we move on to the next flavor in Häagen-Dazs new "Spirits Collection".  This one is called Rum Tres Leches.  Tres leches is spanish for three milks -- regular, evaporated and condensed.  I will forward you to a previous review of a Tres-Leches-themed pint for a more detailed explanation.  That previous pint was part of Häagen-Dazs' Artisan line where the tres leches was the base flavor.  Here, a tres leches cake is used as a mix-in.  In a tres leches cake, the three milks are poured over the top of the freshly-baked cake so that it is allowed to absorb into the cake.  The spirits here is rum which has been infused into the base.  There are also dulce de leche (caramelized milk) swirls.  I suppose one could consider the dulce de leche a 'fourth milk'.  OK.  Enough talk.  Let's eat!

Opening the pint, the ice cream show swirls of light and dark beige on the top.  Digging in, I taste the rum right away.  It is not quite as aromatic as the stout chocolate pint from earlier this week.  It has a bit more of a kick, too, but I don't think I would go so far as to call it 'boozy'.  I think the rum has soften the texture a bit, but it is by no means too soft.  The dulce de leche swirls are blended more than I anticipated.  They are small but frequent.  The flavor of these swirls is a bit muted (dulce de leche is more mild than straight caramel) but it was good and go well with the run.  Every once in a while I come across a cake piece.  These are quite good.  They are soft, sweet and appropriately moist.  They did indeed taste like tres leches cake!

I enjoyed this pint quite a bit.  They were three prongs to this flavor.  The rum, the caramel-like swirls of the dulce de leche and the cake pieces.  At times, I almost wished each individual flavor was stronger and the cake pieces more frequent, but I suppose that would be overpowering.  So, its all about how the three flavors blend I suppose.  They went together fairly well but I didn't like this as much as the stout chocolate pint, though.





No comments:

Post a Comment