Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Ben & Jerrys - Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Core


Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Core - Cookie Milk Ice Cream with Fudge Chips & a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Core
Today I review, the third and final of the new Cookie Dough Core flavors from Ben & Jerry's.  This one is simply called Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Core.  The name of this flavor is a bit simpler than I expected -- Ben & Jerry's loves to use puns for flavor names.  This simple name is especially surprising because it is so similar to the non-core version of the flavor:  Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough which is still one of their most popular flavors.  So, keep an eye out if you are looking to try this mind.  Check for the 'core' in the name.  What is the difference?  The old flavor is very simple:  vanilla ice cream and cookie dough.  Here, in addition to the cookie dough being delivered in a central cylindrical 'core, there are a few other twists.  A 'cookie milk' base is used.  This is ice cream made with milk which has had cookies soaking in it.  Also, fudge chips are added.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, I immediately see the large core of cookie dough -- slightly off center, but still in the middle.  There are many fudge chips visible right away as well.  As I eat my first spoonful, the cookie milk aspect of the base is quite subtle.  The base is evidently here to support the mix-ins and not stand alone.  The fudge chips are distributed throughout the pint. They are excellent as usual.  Thick and chunky and providing quite a bit of chocolatey flavor.  Ben & Jerry's does these fudge chips quite well.  The cookie dough in the middle is a bit harder and grittier than normal cookie dough.  It still tastes good, but it is easier to eat when it is already in bite-size chunks rather than in a large cylinder in the center of the pint.

I liked this flavor well enough.  I don't know if I liked it better than the regular Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor though.  The cookie milk base worked quite well but that is a minor enhancement.  The fudge chips worked really well.  A "cookie dough chip" flavor similar to what Graeter's has.  I think my issue here is that the cookie dough doesn't work well as a core.  I prefer cookie dough which has already broken up a bit as it is easier to eat.  I noted something similar about the new Wake & Bake flavor as well.  My favorite of this year's new flavors is Sweet Like Sugar, mainly because it was a softer dough and also because of other flavors that were in the mix.  That does it for this year's new Ben & Jerry's flavors.  Ben & Jerry's is the brand that got me started exploring ice cream flavors, so I have a bit of a soft spot for them.  Looking forward to the next releases from them.





No comments:

Post a Comment